On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 11:47:14PM +0200, Dominick Grift wrote:

> [...]
> > > take very few changes to make SPAN work with DSSP, even the source policy
> > > stuff (which, honestly, is just a very small part mainly useful for
> > > diffing constraints).
> > >
> > > And as a side note - it’s nice to see someone trying to write a policy
> > > from scratch in CIL. Do you have a “domain” attribute or at least a
> > > similar concept?
> >
> > Sure, but i cannot use "domain" for this because DSSP leverages namespaces.
> > The equivalent in DSSP is "subj.subj_type_attribute"
> >
> > So if the configuration file would have something like:
> >
> > # process_types = domain
> >
> > Then i would be happy because then i could edit it like:
> >
> > process_types = subj.subj_type_attribute

> > > I’m curious what you mean by “only works to some extent”. Any bug reports
> > > would be welcome.
> >
> > Let me rephrase then: "not to the fullest extent"
> >
> > But you gave me the impression that not all bug reports would be "welcome"
> > when you said: "the vast majority of Linux and Android systems meet the
> > assumptions I think that this is a reasonable approach."
> >

> > > And if you mean specifically in the context of DSSP, like I said I bet
> > > the changes would be minimal. So if you are interested in giving it a try
> > > I’ll be happy to look at the changes needed and give you a hand.
> >
> > I agree, and ive said that when I said: "a few rough edges" Its close the
> > usable with DSSP. It just needs to deal with some of the current
> > assumptions:
> >
> > ill point out some:
> >
> > 1. return self.grep(name, "*.te", self.modules_path) # what about .cil
> > suffixed files?
>
> We should make this customizable something like: source_policy_suffix =
>
> Because we would need to catch *.conf , *.te , *.cil and any future high
> level source policy files that leverage cil
>
> > 2. return self.find_def("attribute " + name) # in CIL this is typeattribute
>
> CIL is a native language so we use a statement for something then we need to
> make sure that also its CIL equivalent is caught
>
> > 3. return self.grep(type_name, "*.fc", self.modules_path) # CIL has its
> > context specs in the .cil suffixed file
>
> We should make this customizable: file_contexts_suffix =
> to catch *.fc as well as *.cil and any future high level file_context suffixes
> When this suffix is used we should also alway take "file_contexts" into
> account as this is where to look in monolitic policy
>
> > 4.
> > return self.diff_relative("/policy/mls", other_source) # these should be
> > customizable
>
> mls_constraints =
>
> > return self.diff_relative("/policy/mcs", other_source) # these should be
> > customizable
>
> mcs_constraints =
>
> > return self.diff_relative("/policy/constraints", other_source) # these
> > should be customizable
>
> constraints =
>
> or maybe dont even differentiate between the various different constraints

As a matter of fact, constraints could be anywhere. So probably better to find
a different way to get all the constraints

in cil you can have your constraints whereever you want. For example : I have
my dbus constraints in dbus.cil with the other dbus policy
This is not unique. This is how it should be with CIL or any high level policy
on top of CIL
it was a limitation of module policy that we couldnt have constraints in
modules in the past