I'll answer: first thanks for the head up andenthousiasm!Regarding your
remarks, row level security is none essential requirement on james side but an
essential requirement to me ;-)Regarding JPA, sure if we have contributors
making it leave and fixing its flows there is no reason to deprecate and drop
it. Let see what happens. At least we will have an alternative.Regarding
reactive/loom topic, though a strong advocate internally to use newly available
jdk/jre, we always had issues in the community to adopt newer jdk/jre. Second,
I havent seen any detailed return of experience on reactive / loom topic. I'm
personnally expecting perfs to be somewhat similar bit loom might still require
extra scheduling compared to pure reactive implementations... for sure loom
will make it seem less handy...yes i am also expecting citusData to work OOTB
but our dockerised test suite would make great job fact-checking this
assumption, at least with smoke tests...Envoyé depuis mon appareil Galaxy
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Wojtek <woj...@unir.se> Date :
10/10/2023  16:05  (GMT+07:00) À : James Developers List
<server-dev@james.apache.org> Objet : Re: Building a PostgreSQL mailbox for
James? Hi Benoit,Please see comments below.On 06/10/2023 23:48, Benoit TELLIER
wrote:> Hey there!> > The goal: deliver James "stateless email server" concept
to smaller deployments than those addressable with the Distributed server.> >
Why Postgres? Rock solid. And more options than other SQL stores (see below)> >
The requirements would be:>    - Leverage the blobStore for binary storage
(email bodies + attachements). Those big binaries are not meant to be stored
into SQL rows - blaming you, JPA!>    - Bring choice on blob store : PGSQL
native solution ( https://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/jdbc-binary-data.html )
for small deployments OR S3>    - Bring choice on search: PGSQL native solution
( https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/textsearch.html ) for small
deployments OR OpenSearch>    - Bring choice on PubSub: PGSQL native solution (
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-trigger.html  ) OR RabbitMQThis
sounds very good.>    - Enforce strict tenant isolation: domain A won't access
domain B data even if we screw up James access control layer. This can be done
with Row security https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-rowsecurity.html
.Handy, but not essential (perspective: small, personal mail server running on
home machine)>    - Be reactive. This can be achieved by using a reactive
firendly driver like r2dbc...While reactive has it's benefits (backpressure),
I'm not sure it will be as handy with Loom.>    - Ensure that we can easily run
on some largely scaling postgres... CitusData ?This should work OOTB if we
stick with Posgress?> An other outcome might be to drop JPA implementation,
ideally... (we provide something similar but waaaay better)Hmm... I'm split on
this. There was previous implementation using pure JDBC, but it was
deprecated/dropped in favour of using universal JPA. And JPA "just works", but
has it's limitations (I'd say storing blobs being the most annoying).> Ideally
I would like to deliver this before september 2024...> > Thoughts?> Would this
be something interesting people in here?Very much so!> Would some people be
interested contributing to this effort?> Would some people desire sponsoring
this effort?> > If this is non consensual, I can also contribute this into
https://github.com/linagora/tmail-backend/ without annoying people in here...>
Benoit TELLIERWould be nice to have it directly in James main repository