On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:16:02 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I agree that safeFetch should not have become dependent on Thread::current
> existing, but I have to wonder whether we can just skip the WX code if there
> is no current thread? If the thread is not attached to the VM then what does
> it even mean to manipulate the WX state of an unknown thread?

The OS thread is always known. The WXMode is unrelated to Thread object. The
WXMode is set for an OS thread to allow pages to be either writable or
executable (needed for code generation).

> That aside, with this change I think we can move the conditional WX code out
> of the shared os.hpp and bury it down in os_bsd_aarch64.hpp where it actually
> belongs.

May I ask how that would affect the code that uses the methods (includes, ...)?

> I'd even like to see threadWXSetters.inline.hpp moved to being in
> src/os_cpu/bsd_aarch64/ if feasible - I'm not sure what include would be
> needed for the callsites to function - os.hpp I presume?

I don't know whether this is enough.