Ok, so I talked to Stephen Kitt from ODL parent about this, and he said the following:

   That works for me as a long-term fix too, in the current state of
   versioning in ODL.

   There are two basic rules:
   * never decrease a version number
   * avoid using variables in version number specifiers (the top-level
      version number in POMs)

   Effectively the safe way of replacing a property is to hard-code the
   corresponding value in place.

   Generally speaking I like to have a single version across a repository,
   because it means version-based tags can be used meaningfully. There
   are workarounds, such as using prefixed version-based tags, so this is
   only a "like" as far as I'm concerned. It's hard to enforce in ODL
   anyway!

   Within ODL, I also like to avoid pulling in a version number from the
   parent; I prefer having fully-specified groupId/artifactId/version
   information in a POM. In some cases it's redundant, but it avoids
   issues when we switch parents, e.g. when moving from a project-specific
   parent to an odlparent-provided parent POM.

   Semantic versioning specifies the minimum change you need to make to a
   version number based on the changes made since the previous release; it
   doesn't specify a maximum change. You're always free to bump a version
   by more than the semantic requirement.

   In addition, semantic versioning makes no claims with regards to 0.x
   versions, so it doesn't apply here.

   So you could bump all of SFC to 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT, as long as you manage
   the required changes to your dependents as well!

So, here's how we will proceed with this:

 * I'll merge Miguel's patch [0] to hard code sfc-ui to 0.5.0 to fix
   the blocked issues
 * I'll inform all of the SFC down-stream projects that we will be
   bumping the SFC versions
 * Once they're all ready/agreed, we'll submit a patch to do this

Regards,

Brady

[0] https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/46937/