On Mar 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Randy Bush <ra...@psg.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> If the number of CAs is used to estimate the size of a global RPKI
>> repository (number of objects), then the distinction between hosted
>> and delegated model doesn't matter. It matters if you want to estimate
>> the number of different repositories to query.
>
> as you know, performance of the current transport, rsync, is most
> dependent on the number of repositories, not publication points or
> objects.

Actually, our numbers from RPKI Spider and one of the presentations (not ours)
at the last sidr wg showed that rsync scaling depends both on the size of the
repo and the number of objects...

>> But I don't know what to do with that number afterwards.
>
> multiply by a million and post your estimate on the sidr list as a
> realistic prediction?  :)

Yup, that has been something some people have been advocating:
        http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg05351.html
        ``i would assume a million''

Eric