On 03/21/2013 04:11 PM, Stephen Kent wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> ...most likely you are not... I think I jump to 'CA == REPO ==
>> AS-Operator == ASN allocated' because lacking any direct data
>> otherwise it seems like a good estimation of numbers. Essentially each
>> ASN allocated is going to be a repository that needs to be gathered,
>> right? If there are 10% more repositories due to EndSite allocations
>> without an ASN also allocated to them I think it's still in the
>> ballpark to say "number of Repos == ASN allocation number".
>>
>> I could be wrong.
>>
> So far the 1,300+ folks who have signed up for managed CA services have
> also
> let the RIRs manage their pub points, which dramatically reduces the
> number of repositories. That could change over time, e.g., if these

TODAY it reduces the number, yes. 100% agree.
TOMORROW the number of repositories, even those which are 'hosted' will
be split up by name and/or ip-address...

I have a feeling these will be like DNS servers and likely ripe (ha!)
points for attack by bad folks. So sharing fate for all customers just
seems like a bad idea.

> folks become unhappy with the repository management, but for now I think
> it is reasonable to assume a much smaller number of repositories, which
> is what Sriram and I did in our model.

yup. but having the ability to increase the number of repositories in
the model means we can say: "today with N repositories and M objects we
see times of Y. Tomorrow when we have X repositories with Y objects we
should see times of Z"

-chris