Hi, I just wanted to add my experience using some of these options.

I have found that running a single optimization using MD.VariableCell True
virtually always finds the same optimized structure as doing a two-step (frozen
cell -> variable cell) optimization. This is true as long as the starting
coordinates are reasonably accurate.

In my understanding, if you use the Monkhorst_Pack k-grid during variable cell
optimization, the number of k-points won’t change, but their effective density
will change a little bit. For example, if the unit cell shrinks during
optimization, the same number of k-points will reflect a less dense k-grid.

Possibly one approach would be to optimize the system with a reasonable guess
for the number of k-points necessary and then, when you have the optimized
coordinates, run a single energy calculation with a larger number of kpoints to
see if the energy/forces/strain change significantly.

Lastly, I’ve found that the MD.TypeOfRun Broyden is the most efficient
optimization algorithm. The default settings for it seem to work fine, too.

Anyway, as I said, these are just my experiences, so they certainly won't be
helpful for every situation. I thought I would share though, just in case they
might be helpful for someone else. Have a nice week everyone,

Mike

Responder a