> 3. Situation in other regions
> -----------------------------
>
> ARIN:
>     It is not mandatory but optional to be multi-homed in order get ASN

For clarity, ARIN requires either Multihoming _OR_ a Unique Routing Policy.

> 4. Proposed policy solution
> ---------------------------
>
>     An organization is eligible for an ASN assignment if it:
>      - Is planning to use it within next 6 months

I’d like to see something more stringent than this. This amounts to a Pez
dispenser for ASNs.

I can claim I plan to do just about anything within 6 months.

Is there a problem with preserving the existing policy and simply clarifying
that either of the two requirements being satisfied is sufficient?

That is, match the ARIN policy of Multihoming _OR_ a Unique Routing Policy?

> 5. Advantages / Disadvantages
> -----------------------------
>
> Advantages:
>
>     Removing the mandatory multi-homing requirement from the policy will
>     make sure that organizations are not tempted to provide wrong
>     information in order to fulfil the criteria of eligibility.
>
> Disadvantages:
>
>     No disadvantage.

I disagree. I think putting ASNs into a Pez dispenser has numerous
disadvantages.

While there are 4 billion ASNs, as we have seen demonstrated before, 4 billion
is still a finite number.

Owen