At 2006-04-24 15:35:16 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Being sidetracked by old threads is one of the good things about
> email.

Yes. That's why I want a complete-ish copy of the list archives. I was
thinking about using <http://www.archiveopteryx.org> to provide a nice
IMAP/webmail archive. Silk would be a good test case.

> Instead of an introduction from ams, how about a "best of silk"
> threads list from 2002?

Sounds like a lot of work.

But here's a single message from 2002:

    From: Ramu Narayan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:46:56 +0530

    Just discovered that one of my bookshelves has been invaded by white
    ants, or termites, or woodworms, or whatever they're called, and
    they've been in residence for a while now. The little buggers who
    chew up books, walls and furniture. They seemed to have climbed up
    the wall angle, reached a bookshelf mounted at ceiling level, and
    proceeded to work their way left to right. Far from gorging
    indiscriminately, they've been very selective. They destroyed all my
    Jack Vances (including complete Demon Princes), skipped a Mickey
    Spillane which had no business being there, ate several Simenon
    anthologies but ignored single novels, started on a Cordwainer Smith
    and abandoned it, made a thorough meal of all my Brian Stablefords,
    ate one Updike (Bech: A Book) but skipped the four or five that
    followed, and played merry hell with John Sladek and Norman Spinrad,
    but only the SF titles.

    The only explanation I can find for this erratic behaviour is that
    most of the titles on their menu were DAW. Something in the ink or
    paper? Does their eating a particular book represent appreciation or
    criticism? Not that I care. I've had to junk about 40 books with
    much mourning and gnashing of teeth. Now will someone tell me, do
    they eat computers?

    Ramu

> (AMS: if you do post an introduction (mid-troduction?), please,
> please, whatever you do, don't run it through "dd conv=swab" first)

Now why would I want to do that?

(Welcome to the world of long(er) lines, by the way.)

-- ams