i was in gujarat for a week recently, i noticed a strange phenonmenon
of toy shops (i saw at least 4 different shops...) which exclusively
stock toy guns (nothing else, not even stuffed toys or rattles or toy
trains...), and most of these toy guns look frighteningly like the
real thing.

that said, i found it to be quite a pleasant place (my last time in
gujarat was 23 years ago...) - plenty of historical architecture (of
the salacious variety...) and they put
heaps of sugar into anything edible...  the old walled town part of
ahmedabad was quite
fascinating (apparently, this is where most of the riots begin...)...
on the downside its
terribly difficult to find anything alchoholic...and when you do find
it, its quite terrible and
expensive...   I imagine the problems of the state probably stem from
prohibition... if people have nothing to do, they get drunk, in the
absence of such an avenue, they indulge in mindless violence...