So over here in the States I know of several long-term couples who read the same books. In the case of my friend Jane and her husband John, they share books even though he is a right-wing libertarian and she's a left-wing liberal. In my own marriage, well...my husband only reads books published by O'Reilly (the ones with animals on the front) anymore. During courtship he briefly read some of my favorite fiction because he "wanted to get closer to me", and interestingly some of those characters have made their way into our lexicon.

Danese

On Apr 3, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Deepa Mohan wrote:

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Udhay Shankar N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh wrote, [on 4/3/2008 5:20 PM]:



"[Author Ariel Levy's] partner, a green-building consultant, "doesn't like to read," Levy said. When she wants to talk about books, she goes to her book group. Compatibility in reading taste is a "luxury" and kind
of irrelevant, Levy said. The goal, she added, is "to find somebody
where your perversions match and who you can stand.""


 Heh.

As a data point, my wife's reading tastes diverge greatly from mine; with a glancing intersection at early Harry Potter (pre Book 4) and _Jonathan
Livingston Seagull_.

 Udhay
 --
Interesting train of thought Rishab...let's see the stations it takes us to!

I don't know any set of partners in a "relationship" or even the
members of a "family" setup,  whose reading tastes coincide totally;
that's very interesting because those  families might gather to watch
the same TV serials....leave alone books, Mohan and I read the
newspaper each morning and when we compare notes later, it's as if
each of us has read a completely different paper.

Yet, there are some books that are firm family favourites...indeed,
that most people have read...oh, I forgot, they are called
best-sellers...and these change quite drastically from generation to
generation. I can't imagine today's twenty-somethings reading "Anando
Motth" (for lack of a better phonetic spelling), or "Ponniyin Selvan",
or "Godaan" or even "David Copperfield"... And then, there is the
whole field of poetry....however, I am hoping to be contradicted.

Deepa.










Reply via email to