On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 6:31 AM, ss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>  India (and other nations) need to start setting up the infrastructure to
> learn
>  and communicate with the Chinese people. However - I admit that the English
>  speaking world will have one saving grace - an India that is hooked to
>  English.

I am going out on a limb here and assuming that English speakers of
the world as a population are at least as many as the Chinese
(Mandarin) speakers. If so, why should the English speakers fear
erosion of the language? Rather, the only way it'll happen is if there
are more people learning Chinese than English. I'd say given that the
Chinese are so ambitious anyway, they are going to learn English
faster than others can learn Mandarin. If so, will knowledge of
Mandarin really give you a leg up in the world? The popular Chinese
fanboyism of all things western is fairly well documented, so it's not
like one needs to earn respect among the Chinese by knowing the
language either.

Again, assuming things here, but I believe that there is more human
knowledge locked away in texts written in the English language than in
any other, so would we want all of that to go to waste?

Finally, learning to communicate in Chinese with the Chinese is as
much about knowing the culture as it is about knowing the language.
This is true for just about any language, but more so for Chinese than
say a global language like English. Will an english speaker really
pick up all the cultural nuances even when immersed in a Mandarin
program from childhood? The benchmark of a language reaching critical
mass is when it has people of other languages hooked onto
entertainment in the language. Will we ever see a hollywood scale
movie / TV business out of China. Among the most popular TV shows
among urban Chinese is Friends, which almost everyone watches to be
more Western.

Just my two controversial bits...

Cheeni

P.S. I am throwing in what I know to be a radical counter argument
here because I am not seeing anyone really questioning the assumption
that it's unquestionably good to learn Chinese