On May 12, 2008, at 6:32 PM, ss wrote:
May I point out that you have contradicted yourself?

If 50% of people in the world speak Chinese, how does one reach the conclusion
that more than 50% of all knowledge exists in English?

One could easily conclude this depending on how one defines "knowledge" for the sake of this analysis. For example, scientific, technical, and medical publications are overwhelmingly English, even from publishers in non-English countries with no significant native English reach. I can easily imagine that some kinds of prattle in some languages easily exceed English by volume, but that is only slightly related to the total value of the content in the language. A large population of a language's speakers does not imply knowledge, but the economic product of said people does.

1) You are making this assumption as an English speaker who does not really know how much knowledge is locked up in French, German, Russian, Mandarin,
Sanskrit, Tamil or Arabic for that matter.

See above. Most scientific, medical, and technical publications are published in not more than four languages (Chinese being the sole non- European language), and the majority of content is only published in English. The number of languages of publication for this type of knowledge have been dwindling very rapidly, and most such publishers have plans to publish exclusively in English within the next ten years. Ironically, most of these publishers are not based in English- speaking countries.

We may not be able to quantify how much knowledge is locked up in a language, but we can pretty easily quantify how much knowledge is published in a language which is a fine proxy.

2) The reason why a lot of knowledge exists in a particular language such as English is precisely because English speakers have taken the trouble to learn non English languages and have translated non English works into English.

How much knowledge has really been translated into English in the last few decades? I would make the observation that for many types of publication in most countries manuscripts are required to be submitted in English, even if the author's native language will be a translation target. More than a few authors have had the misfortune of having their works translated into their native language from English manuscripts by translation services.

The assumption that English has all it takes to survive forever is comforting,
but might not be true.

It might not be true, but there is a strong economic pressure to converge on a single set of standards, whether it is SI metric units or English language. The purveyors of many kinds of knowledge have already chosen their one language, English, out of the around twenty that were routinely supported a few decades ago. Translation is no longer economical, as both the cost overhead and latency are too high to be viable in modern markets. Back when the state-of-the-art knowledge did not change much over intervals of several years it was plausible, but we work on much shorter timeframes now for most things.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers