On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Chandrachoodan Gopalakrishnan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> Aren't the Parotta/Porotta and the Paratha two different animals entirely?

Allow me to indulge in a little back yard etymology adventure.

I know of the South Indian Parotta as the Ceylon parotta or sometimes
the Kerala P{a,o}rotta. I speculate that this comes from the term
"purattu" in Tamil which means "thrash about", which is roughly
similar to the process of making the Ceylon Parotta where the chef
wrestles and smacks the dough into submission.

Of course, this is merely speculation.

Cheeni