On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Martin Senftleben
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> sorry to bother you with this. We wanted to make Idli here in Germany,
> but didn't take a cooker with us when we left India. Stupid. So I
> tried now to get one from a shop in the US, but they charge about six
> times the price of the cooker for postage (180 US$). I think that's
> not worth it.
> Are there other means, e.g. in Europe (UK), to get such a set? Who has
> an idea?

Are you looking for a special-purpose Idli cooker? Or would an
Indian-style pressure cooker with an Idli stand attachment be ok?

The idli stand looks like so:

http://www.nribazaar.com/product.sc;jsessionid=5587DD251A429209396E90B2967DAB53.qscstrfrnt04?productId=377

Your best bet to find it at a reasonable price is to buy it from a
brick and mortar Indian grocery store. I found these listings for
Germany:

http://www.indianfoodsguide.com/indian-food-guide/indian-grocery-stores/germany/

If you buy the idli stand you can use it with an Indian-style pressure
cooker or any steamer into which the idli stand fits.

I'd be glad to buy an idli stand here in California and mail it out to
you. They are pretty light.

Thaths
--
"I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping
 its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode.  I think