From: "Salil Tripathi" <salil61-AT-hotmail.com>
Subject: More on Ms Roy
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:14:20 +0000

Since the canonization of Arundhati Roy continues, and her views on
everything are being given prime space, I thought it would be appropriate to
share with the list the following piece of literary detective work by an
Indian journalist from Cochin, not far from Ayemenem. (Incidentally, Liam
and Margaret, I do intend to respond to your questions and comments; I have
just returned after indulging in the bourgeoise pastime of vacation. But a
reply shall be forthcoming this weekend. And Sangita, I have more questions
regarding your reply on Naipaul -- thanks for taking the trouble of
responding; you were the only one to do so!).

I have not read To Kill A Mocking Bird, only seen the film; but the points
the journalist is raising are interesting, primarily because Roy's
reputation as a social commentator often rests on her reputation being a
Booker Prize winner. And because the views she expresses are popular with
people of a particular political persuasion, and, like Naomi Klein, Noreena
Hertz and Jose Bove, she is becoming part of the anti-globalization
pantheon, it is relevant to explore where she comes from. She does not get
space in The Guardian and the Nation only because of her views; many on this
list have similar views. She gets the space because of her Booker and the
celebrity that has followed. Is that celebrity, then, deserved? I believe
that's a pertinent question; for she is not known for the two films she made
(one forgettable, one witty).

One more comment: when she was asked about her influences, she had said
none; she denied that Faulkner, Marquez or Rushdie had had any influence on
her writing. She said she had never read Rushdie (yet the first chapter is
about pickles, now we Indians do like our pickles, but surely that's one
metaphor used too often? Rushdie's pickles were in Midnight's Children, in
1981; Roy's GOST appeared in 1997.... and how about this? While the sentence
structure is different, the telescoping of three tenses in one, the rhythm
and cadence of the following two are too similar to my ear -- and I noticed
this in 1997, when I read GOST, and wrote about it then.

This is from pg 72 of GOST:

"Years later, on a crisp fall morning in upstate New York, on a Sunday train
from Grand Central to Croton Harmon, it suddenly came back to Rahel. That
expression on Ammu's face. Like a rogue piece in a puzzle; like a question
mark that drifted through the pages of a book and never settled at the end
of a sentence."

And here's pg 1 of OHYOS (One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez):

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia
was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover
ice."

Salil
----------
>From the Indian Express, Cochin edition

By Minu Ittyipe

While reading the 1997 Booker prize novel The God of Small Things there is a
sense of déjà vu so strong – lines and images hit you from all directions.
Maybe its because Roy's put down scenes from movies, TV shows, lines from
poetry etc. But the story line in one book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper
Lee clearly stands out from the rest of the clutter and bears a remarkable
resemblance to that of Arundhati Roy's GOST.

Is it possible two authors of different periods in two different places can
pen similar books and express the same ideas using much the same words
(sometimes) but in a different context? Let's take a look at both the books:

To Kill A Mockingbird is set in the mid 1930's in the state of Alabama, USA,
in a small town called Maycomb. The story revolves around two children, Jem
and Scout Finch, brought up by a single parent, their father, Atticus, who
is a lawyer. Dill, their friend, comes visiting. The story is set at a time
when Black Americans had very little rights and a negro, Tom Robinson, is
accused of raping a white woman, Mayella Ewell, when in actuality she had
thrown herself on him. Atticus takes up the case and what unfolds is a
courtroom drama and a jury’s verdict that upholds the white man’s lies not
the black man’s truth. Atticus says during the case, “She tempted a negro.
She did something that in our society is unspeakable: she kissed a black
man. Not an old uncle, but a strong young negro man. No code mattered to her
before she broke it, but it came crashing down on her afterwards.”

A similar thread of thought runs GOST. Set in Kerala in a small village
Ayemenem, the protagonists are the twins Estha and Rahel, brought up by a
single parent, their mother Ammu. Sophie mol, their cousin, comes visiting.
It was a time when the caste system was in place and Ammu, their mother,
does the unthinkable. She beds a paravan, an untouchable in a land [to quote
the text] “where love laws lay down who should be loved. And how. And how
much.”

In both the novels, the victims of the unequal societies, Tom Robinson in To
Kill A Mockingbird [TKMB] and Velutha in GOST pay with their lives. Besides
the plot, the characters and lines, too, are similar. Take the opening
paragraphs in TKMB. “He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill
first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out. I said if he wanted to
take a broad view of the thing, it really began with Andrew Jackson. If
general Jackson hadn’t run the Creeks up the creek, Simon Finch would never
have paddled up the Alabama and where would we be if he hadn’t?” Now take a
look at similar lines in GOST. “Still, to say it all began when Sophie Mol
came to Ayemenem is only one way of looking at it. Equally, it could be
argued that it actually began thousands of years ago. Long before the
Marxists came. Before the British took Malabar, before the Dutch Ascendancy,
before Vasco da Gama arrived.”

Some lines have words ditto. In TKMB: “Ladies bathed before noon, after
their three o'clock naps and by nightfall were like soft tea cakes with
frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.” Read GOST: “Terror, sweat and talcum
powder blended into a mauve paste between Baby Kochamma's rings of neck
fat.”

Descriptions of the church in both books have a similar ring. TKMB:
“Miraculously on pitch, a hundred voices sang out Zeebo’s words. Music again
swelled around us.” GOST: “And once more the yellow church swelled like a
throat of voices.”

There are many more similarities in Kari Saipu's house and the Radley place
in TKMB, the descriptions of the court house in TKMB and the police station
in GOST. Now take a peek at the gifts given in both books. TKMB: “I pulled
out two small images carved in soap. One was the figure of a boy, the other
a wore a crude dress.” GOST: “Velutha had remarkable facility with his
hands. He could carve perfect boats out of tapioca stems and figurines on
cashewnuts.”

Baby Kochamma, the twins’ grand aunt in GOST bears semblance to two
characters in TKMB, that of Maudie Atkinson and her passion for gardening
and the other of Aunt Alexandra who is caught up in her missionary teas and
her rigid attitude. In TKMB, the Finch’s neighbour is Maudie Atkinson. “She
was a widow, a chameleon lady who worked in her flowerbeds in an old straw
hat and men’s coveralls.” Elsewhere, “Miss Maudie's sun hat settled on top
of the heap I could not see her hedge clippers.” Now read GOST. “Baby
Kochamma spent her afternoons in her garden. In sari and gumboots. She
wielded an enormous pair of hedge shears in her bright orange gardening
gloves.” In TKMB, Tom Robinson, who has been accused of raping a white
woman, has only one arm. “His left arm was fully twelve inches shorter than
his right, and hung dead at his side.” In GOST, incoherently, Roy writes
about a one-armed man or god in Ammu's dreams. To quote Roy, “isolated
things that didn’t mean anything.” And now the text: "Who was he, the one
armed man? Who could he have been? The God of loss? The God of small
things?”

And finally take the case of Arthur Radley or Boo in TKMB who withdraws into
his house after being pulled up by the law for disorderly conduct, assault
and battery etc., and rarely stepped out again. Finally, when he steps out,
notice how Dr. Reynolds never notices Arthur Radley in the room. "Everybody
out, he said as he came in the door. Evenin’ Arthur, didn’t notice you the
first time I was here.” Then again, Scout Finch says of Arthur “Having been
so accustomed to his absence, I found it incredible that he had been sitting
beside me all this time, present. He had not made a sound.”  Now look what
Roy did to Estha. She made him gravitate towards total silence in GOST.
“Over time he had acquired the ability to blend into the background of
wherever he was – into bookshelves, gardens, curtains, doorways, streets –
to appear inanimate, almost invisible to the untrained eye. It usually took
strangers a while to notice him even when they were in the same room with
him. It took them even longer to notice that he never spoke. Some never
noticed at all.”

And finally the way Roy ends the book brings echoes of another classic. “She
turned to say once again : ‘Naaley. Tomorrow.’”

Does that ring a bell? Gone With The Wind perhaps?