At 2010-03-23 16:25:18 +0000, sali...@googlemail.com wrote:

> … and her ignoring the more serious criticism from Gail Omvedt.

Thanks, I hadn't read Gail Omvedt's letter and response to some of
Arundhati Roy's writings on dams. I found them quite interesting.

> She went to jail for one night, probably didn't like the dal, and next
> day paid the fine and got out.

Aside: I've never understood this particular argument. She was sentenced
to a symbolic one day imprisonment and an INR2000 fine. She went to jail
for a day and paid the fine. Why would it have been less hypocritical or
more noble to stay in jail for three months instead of paying the fine?

-- ams