On 08-Oct-10 9:46 AM, Sruthi Krishnan wrote:

> But serious listening is different -- it becomes a task in itself (of
> course, a very pleasurable one).

Indeed. I'd also claim that single-task listening to music and
background or multitask listening to the very same piece of music are
qualitatively different experiences.

Case in point: I was attempting to see if I could perceive the
difference between a (high quality) MP3 file and the original CD through
(high-quality) earphones. So I was listening very hard to the same songs
twice over, working my way through an album. The actual differences
merit a thread of their own, but what struck me forcefully is just how
much detail and depth one perceives when listening with all of one's
concentration.

Music seems to be one of the few things that I can still single-task on.
Whether this is a good or bad thing I am not sure.

Udhay