On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:28:23AM -0800, Heather Madrone wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasticity_of_substitution
>
> It's a pretty basic concept, actually, straight out of Economics 2. How

Sorry, I don't do pseudosciences. Thanks for the links, still see no
relevance to a simple scenario like a positive feedback loop.

> easy/useful is it to substitute one input for another in production? It
> would take about 2 minutes to explain this concept to another person,
> and even less to point them to a site where they could read about it.

Yeah, a great way to land in one's killfile.

> The technological singularity seems like pure science fiction to me,

Well, you're living in science fiction, then. Doesn't feel too
remarkable, does it?

> with a lot of wishful thinking standing in for evidence.

The singularity is nothing but a fancy term for shrinking
horizon of predictability. There's obviously progress (though
not nearly as much progress as certain notable metric cherry-pickers
want to imply), the rate of progress can accelerate in principle,
especially if the rate of cognition goes up (physical ceiling is
probably 10^6 to 10^9 speedup).

According to
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2011/02/09/science.1200970
we haven't really started yet.