On 14-Jan-12 12:28 AM, Thaths wrote:
>> A former colleague of mine recently wrote this:
>> >
>> > http://blog.mocality.co.ke/2012/01/13/google-what-were-you-thinking/
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/115264064268941645500/posts/WfALKwfmCGJ

>From the post linked above by Thaths, one comment is particularly
interesting:

<quote>
Richard Wooding  -  I did some analysis and it pretty easy to perform an
HTTP request with a google IP address by sending your request via Google
Cache.

I read the forensic analysis with some interest, but to be honest it was
not convincing to me. I thought: “is there a way I can scrape pages” and
“make sure the IP addresses come from a google ip”.

And it turns out there is, at least from my browser.

I proxied my queries via google cache – which you can do by using the
query string cache:.

In my test I used cache:whatismyip.com

Which resulted in the following URL for me:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw=1270&bih=726&source=hp&q=cache%3Awhatismyip.com&pbx=1&oq=cache%3Awhatismyip.com&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1357l8049l0l8315l22l5l0l0l0l0l331l1446l2-2.3l5l0

I then noted the requesting IP and did a lookup on it, and this was my
result:

Additional whois information for 66.249.71.37:

[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]
#
# Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
# “n 66.249.71.37″
#
# Use “?” to get help.
#
#
# The following results may also be obtained via:
#
http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=66.249.71.37?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2
#
NetRange: 66.249.64.0 – 66.249.95.255
CIDR: 66.249.64.0/19
OriginAS:
NetName: GOOGLE
NetHandle: NET-66-249-64-0-1
Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
RegDate: 2004-03-05
Updated: 2007-04-10
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-66-249-64-0-1
OrgName: Google Inc.
OrgId: GOGL
Address: 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
City: Mountain View
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 94043
Country: US
RegDate: 2000-03-30
Updated: 2011-09-24
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/GOGL
OrgTechHandle: ZG39-ARIN
OrgTechName: Google Inc
OrgTechPhone: +1-650-253-0000
OrgTechEmail: arin-cont...@google.com
OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ZG39-ARIN
OrgAbuseHandle: ZG39-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Google Inc
OrgAbusePhone: +1-650-253-0000
OrgAbuseEmail: arin-cont...@google.com
OrgAbuseRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ZG39-ARIN
#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
#

So if I can do it, what stops any random group from doing it?

I am not convinced by the forensic data.
</quote>