On May 22, 2012, at 1:08 AM, Deepak Shenoy wrote:

> Is there a problem with his doing so as a tax dodge?

To answer your question: I think it's kind of slimy, myself, and the laws in
place don't really bother me. The fact that Saverin might not ever be given a
visa to come back to the USA? Well, them's the breaks, kid. Don't let the door
hit you on your way out.

But the fairness, unfairness or wisdom of the laws in place, or the morality or
immorality of being a tax dodger wasn't the point of my post. I was merely
making an observation about the use of the word "supposed".

I have friends who have renounced USian citizenship because they could not
abide what they perceived as fascism at home and/or imperialism (or worse)
abroad. I also have a niece who recently renounced her USian citizenship -- she
was born in the USA to American parents, but has lived since the age of 1 month
in Switzerland, and has always considered herself more Swiss than American, and
so she recently became a Swiss citizen. Thus it is possible and probably quite
common for people to renounce US citizenship for reasons other than avoiding
taxes. I don't find any of those reasons plausible in the case of Mr. Saverin.

jrs