> I have friends who have renounced USian citizenship because they could not
> abide what they perceived as fascism at home and/or imperialism (or worse)
> abroad. I also have a niece who recently renounced her USian citizenship --
> she was born in the USA to American parents, but has lived since the age of
> 1 month in Switzerland, and has always considered herself more Swiss than
> American, and so she recently became a Swiss citizen. Thus it is possible
> and probably quite common for people to renounce US citizenship for reasons
> other than avoiding taxes. I don't find any of those reasons plausible in
> the case of Mr. Saverin.

I don't either - and he became a US citizen in 1998. I don't honestly
get the outrage - people give up Indian citizenship all the time once
they become resident elsewhere; I know people who gave up their green
card for tax purposes (Gurcharan Das is a famous Indian person for
having done so).  People move states for tax purposes too (In one
instance I've seen, people used to live across the border in Missouri
and work in Kansas city to save some taxes) It's just another
transaction, another day - if he moved back to Brazil one might have
even called him a patriot that returned. Motives are fungible
nowadays.