Tamil, like French, relies on fairly strict contextual rules for when the
same symbol (example, க in Tamil, c in French or g in Italian) should be
pronounced as k or g. So, there may not be a one-to-one symbol to sound
mapping, but mapping within the prescribed context is always consistent.
For example, the க (k) that appears after the nasal ங (ng), will always be
pronounced as g.

Many languages also adapted, rather than developed their own scripts.
Brahmi, the precursor of almost all Indian scripts, was most likely adapted
from an aramaic-like script. If you've ever, like me, wondered why k kh g
gh/ c ch j jh are not similarish symbols, that's why.

Different languages also use symbols differently. For example, the
Malayalam script has a full repertoire of voiced, aspirate and unvoiced
variants found in the Sanskrit varnamala. However, written Malayalam still
tends to "prefer" Tamil-style contextual sound changes, especially for
Dravidian words. Example, Pongal is written as, പൊങ്കൽ (not പൊംഗൽ), which
strictly pronounced by symbol only, would be ponkal. Kannada also exhibits
this same tendency to a lesser extent - I've come across a few examples,
but nothing comes to mind immediately.

Kingsley Joseph