Rajesh Mehar wrote:

"Fifteen more years has also given me some perspective on the importance of
doing *work you believe has enduring value*, and of the need for down time
to keep work from being the force driving you."

@Bruce: This is really interesting stuff for me. Could you write a little
bit about how you decided what work would have enduring value? Do you also
think about the magnitude of impact your work has/will have? How do you
measure value and impact?

I would like to claim that I studied my values and principles and then went out to find something that matched. That's elegant, but pretty improbable in this random world.

What happened is that in 1974 I joined a historical society with the peculiarly broad stance of studying heraldry, genealogy, chivlary, nobility, and ancient and medieval history (up to about 1700). The Augustan Society, <http://augustansociety.org>, in case anyone cares, was run by an autodidact with holographic memory and an insatiable appetite for work and study.

Long story short, he died in 2006 from an entirely curable condition, leaving the organization without it's primary engine. It took over a year, but they realized that between my wife and I, we had all the skills needed to run the place. I'm an expert in heraldry, have a degree in history, and a background in non-profit management and magazine publishing. My wife is a bookkeeper and genealogist. They asked us to take over, "A couple of days a week," and we foolishly agreed.

It's been tough to follow a legend. As Gracian wrote, "To equal a predecessor, one must have twice their worth." That I ain't got, but I do have a much better grasp of technology. My predecessor thought "high tech" meant electric typewriters. I'm running a network of six Linux boxes and a couple of Windoze machines, plus a bank of laser printers that let us publish our magazines in-house and do all but the binding on our books.

Over the past seven years, these "couple of days a week" have grown to the point where I'm now deliberately limiting my time and telling the Board that they have to pick which programs get left behind.

The problems notwithstanding, the job is a terrific challenge to me in a number of facets, and I like to think it's keeping my brain active and growing in new directions.

No, it's not a social services agency, but then I never did fancy addressing symptoms while the disease is ignored. Feed the poor? There will always be poor. Better to work on the system that permits such large income discrepancies, to pick just one example.

As for the "magnitude and impact" of this work, well, it's primary magnitude and impact are upon me. I'm not saying I have selfish motives (though I'm sure that plays a part), I'm saying that some of the work being done by the organization is important, if only in an academic sense, and the magnitude is dependent not on the nature of the work or my efforts, but the number of people I can convince to help.

As a result, I'm not terribly interested in measuring such things. What I am interested in is the impact the work has on me, on my own growth and development, and on leaving a lasting record of scholarship for others to build upon, just as the giants whose shoulders I muddy with my boots did for me.

I am not saying that the part-time job I just left was without value. Any time you can work for a Fortune 50 company who lets you see how the system works, you can't help but learn things. When that company is Disney, those are some pretty fun and interesting things, too. My observations of the operations at a single-site employer with 68,000 workers and exceedingly high customer expectations have been fascinating, especially when you consider that the company considers its primary purpose (after keeping stockholders happy) is to "manufacture happiness". Leads to some very interesting customer service techniques!

But I've about sucked that teat dry, and my role as a hotel lobby clerk has evolved over the past decade from helping my guests have the most fun they can during their vacation to serving as an IT tech support agent with no training and intermittant second-line backup on a very flaky and rapidly evolving system. It's not "Dilbert", it's more "User Friendly" <http://ars.userfriendly.org>.

Add to the mix a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome that cropped up early this year, and standing up at a keyboard for eight hours at a time no longer seemed wise.

Finally, the company itself urged me to retire. After 15 years of service and age 55, you can retire with full benefits. These benefits don't include a pension or health coverage (they were available to part-timers, but weren't good enough to bother). They do include free admission to the theme parks, discounts from 20% to 75% on food, merchandise, hotels, cruises, and access to a number of fun activities. You need to live near Walt Disney World and love the product for these to have any value, but for me they do. Continuing to work would only risk that I'd make some mistake and get fired, losing it all, which wasn't balanced by the pittance they paid me.

I think I had some significant impact at Disney; I know I helped a lot of people enjoy their holidays. Even for those who don't see theme parks as an essential part of their lives, knowing that such places exist has value in itself. Not to mention that having participated in the employee stock purchase program at 20% of my pay for a decade and a half, I now own more shares than some members of the board of directors -- which is part of why I can retire without adjusting my lifestyle.

Sorry, probably more than any of you wanted to know, but this is the week for me to contemplate this stuff, and your reading is helpful.

Cheers,
Bruce