On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 9:16 PM Ashim D'Silva <as...@therandomlines.com>
wrote:

> The current art world is its own awful mix of capitalism gone mad and
> exclusionary barriers of entry and so I can’t defend its excesses either. I
> guess I have to remain stuck in the middle and confused. It doesn’t help
> that Banksy recently both sold a piece at a record price, and then
> destroyed it before the sale leading to the question of whether the
> destroyed piece is worth more or less now!

I don't think poverty is any requirement for one who's surrendered to the
art, but it's often an unfortunate outcome for one who doesn't bend to
market forces or anything other than one's artistic inspiration..

Srinivasa Ramanujam was lucky to be discovered by Hardy, otherwise he'd
have likely rotted away in penury and anonymity as a clerk. Whereas,
Mahakavi Subramaniya Bharathi had material misfortune chase him like a pack
of hungry wolves wherever he went, yet his poetic voice never trembled.

In the Thiruvilayadal literature the Gods often test the great Bhaktas to
see if they have the courage of their convictions. One can simply be lost
in Mathematics for example, and be a great Bhakta, because in whatever is
pure and undiluted with ego limitations like fear and self protection
there's the divine.