> For what it is worth, here is my experience.
>I went to a Chinese Traditional Medicine practitioner. . . .
 >. . .He rubbed and manipulated very  hard on an area on
>the top left hand area of my chest, I think he said it
>  was where the nerve went through a small channel.

I had a similar pain which started at the base of my neck
and went down into my shoulder. I had it for a long time
and told my son's friend who is a masseuse.
I explained the pain and he dug his fingers into the area
which brought tears ! He explained about the nerve and said
I could massage the area myself, and showed me how.
After a week or so, the pain went away.

Smitty