Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rowena" <new...@aapt.net.au>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Washing soda - toxic? No

No, Faith.
Baking soda (US) is bicarbonate of soda, or sodium bicarbonate.

Washing soda is sodium carbonate, a step or two away from bicarb. It got a
mention in the text on the pages whose links I posted.  There was a
description on one of the sites, I think the steam engine one, saying what
the process was to make the sodium bicarbonate.  The paragraph on my
decahydrate with some sodium sesquicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate in it.
For a more mundane explanation, unless you understand the technical jargon
on the websites,  you might need to enquire at your local shopping centre,
though I think someone said washing soda was getting hard to find.

It's a white powder, or in crystal form, that people use to soften water.

If you google washing soda IMAGES you will see some packages that may ring a
bell with you.  Or not, if you are not over 55 and female.

I've never heard of  'washing soda'.  Do yuo mean baking soda?  Faith G.