Yep ALA does some amazing things. It recycles antioxidants already in the body. But I prefer the R form. Regular ALA has both R and S forms and the S form kind of negates the good that the R fraction does in the body. The R form is not as stable and a little more expensive but it's worth it. I can really feel the difference. The difference is dramatic. And I take my R ALA with 1 gram of Acetyl L Carnitine and 1 gram of vitamin C. I can really tell when I haven't taken it for a day or two.

Just off the top of my head;

An Inositol/Choline combination is good for the neurons and nerves too.

I use a liquid form of B complex that I swish in my mouth for absorption.

Bacopa Monnieri, Coleus Forskohlii, Huperzine A, Rhodeola Rosea, and Gotu Kola are several other brain protectors. As well as vinpocetine and Ginkgo. Eleuthero is another one as well as the other Ginsengs, but eleuthero is a bit more gentle in its action than the other Ginsengs. Eleuthero used to be called Siberian Ginseng.. Bilberry is great for the eyes but it's also great for circulation.

I also take 6 grams of cinnamon every day to keep my cells sensitive to insulin, and I usually take just 2 grams of turmeric, and Ginger daily, unless I sprain a thumb while I'm sleeping, LOL, then I up the dosage. I also take MSM and Glucosamine 2 grams of each daily.

I switch off on the brain protecting supplements every other day so the body doesn't have a chance to get used to the same thing every day.

Taurine is another great supplement for the brain, and glucose uptake. I buy it by the lb. It's also great for the eyes. Astaxanthin, and Zeaxanthin are two more good antioxidants for the eyes, along with Lutein, and a couple more that are on the tip of my tongue. They help prevent Macular degeneration in older eyes. I can tell when I don't take those for a few days too.

Unfortunately the body does age no matter what we do, but we can minimize the age related debilities, thank heavens.

It's really much more economical to buy in bulk and make your own capsules, tinctures, infusions and teas. I'd be spending much much more if I bought everything already encapsulated and bottled. Making your own tinctures and other stuff isn't hard, or complicated, at all. If you make your own colloidal silver you can make these other things quite easily.

I just bought 4 lbs of freshly harvested Lomatium root, and some Usnea, to make tinctures and oil infusions for the family for this coming flu season. I've also bought some Licorice root and a few other expectorants, and lung and bronchial tube clearer uppers.

Annie

Harold MacDonald wrote:
http://betterlife.com/prod_home_page.asp?prod_id=27651

Other benefits of GABA

Snipped;
The Lipoic Acid, vitamin E treatment significantly increased the level of
glutathione, GABA and serotonin levels in the whole brain as well as in the
regions of the olfactory lobe, cerebrum, hippocampus-hypothalamus,
cerebellum and pons-medulla. This is quite a demonstration of the actions of
these compounds in protecting the brain from environmental toxic assault.