Dear Mary,

you are to be admired for your persistence and courage!

It seems that you are living proof for a fact that science
is only just about to discover: that the brain has a lot
of reserves, and with consequent training unused brain
portions can take over the functions of parts of the brain
that have been damaged in accidents or by a stroke.

There is a book that reports many of the newest efforts
to help people with such problems:

"The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph
from the Frontiers of Brain Science (James H. Silberman Books)"
Norman Doidge

http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/0143113100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252781708&sr=8-1

There is one story in it where a son re-trains his father
who is disabled after a stroke. Most amazing!

Best,
Heidrun Beer