Neville Munn wrote:
Firstly, a correction if I may, that 'colloid' determination I mentioned from material I've read states *under* 1 micron, not *over* Marshall, and I get the impression that this is a generalisation for classifying what constitutes a 'colloid' in the field of chemistry. Using this information, as I do, then finding out the size a solid particle will pass through the gut wall, finding out the size of the smallest capillary in the body, finding out the what is the largest size which will pass through the blood brain barrier etc etc, this is what I go by in making my determinations regarding quality of solution and it's efficacy. Flawed...? well, praps it may be, but it's the best a 'non chemistry' brain can go by. The total AG was determined by acidifying using HNO3. The ionic componant specifically is not stated, it just states 'soluble Ag', which I assumed to be the ionic componant. But as I think I said earlier, this would probly include a percentage of particles SMALLER than .45 microns which DID pass through that filter, in which case I would imagine the particle content will actually be HIGHER...Yes/No?

I would have to know the test that was run to know if the answer is yes or no. If it was run by chromophotometry then the answer would be no. If using a TDS type measurement, then once again it would be no.
Then it states "Solids (filtered using .45 micron paper)" = 5.0mg/l. These would be the particles which are LARGER than .45 microns, and who knows how many...? due to agglomeration during filtering process.

'That does imply that there were quite a bit of large particles present.

Then "theoretical insoluble Ag content" of 11.5mg/l.
I am guessing that they got this result by assuming some type of size distribution, and using the 5.0 above .45 with a max of 1 micron to determine how much was below .45. for instance 2/4.5 = 11.1 which is pretty close using a linear size distribution.
In the result sheet it states, "Analysed using AAS using AgHNO3 STDS". That's all I can tell you cos that's all I know. If I understood what testing procedures would be SPECIFICALLY required then praps I could have been more SPECIFIC with my list of testing questions. I did ask for particle sizing but they were unable to do that due to specific equipment required, of which they don't have. They calculated %ionic/%particulate from these procedures being 51/49, in this particular sample.

Well, with the large number or large particles, and the research I did yesterday on ratio vs concentration I suspect that this sample was 30 ppm or higher and might account for the high colloid content.

Marshall