Hello Renee,

Unfortunately, Jim Humble has never shared how he came up with that idea, and
testing does not support his idea...

I use a sanitizing spray around the house.  Here is a test you can do.

Mix up a solution by placing 10 ml of 5% sodium chlorite in a glass and adding
10 ml of 10% citric acid.  Let this activate for 10 minutes, then pour it into
a household spray bottle and add enough water to make 500 ml.  You can use this
to sanitize your bathroom surfaces, cutting boards, counter tops, and so on.
Store it out of UV light and away from high temperatures.

It will be yellow in color, and have the distinctive chlorine dioxide odor to
it.  If you have some chlorine dioxide test strips you can check the
concentration of free chlorine dioxide in the solution.  Come back in a month
and the solution will still be yellow, have the chlorine dioxide odor, and have
the same amount of free chlorine dioxide.  The official statement on this from
the commercial use of these products state 8 weeks, but my solution never lasts
that long.  Since I have never tested beyond 4 weeks, I just use that as my
recommendation.

Now, if you mix the same mixture and set it outside in the sunshine it will
quickly loose all of the chlorine dioxide and end up colorless with no odor in
a couple of hours.  Chlorine dioxide is very unstable in UV light.

The 28% concentration of sodium chlorite is dangerous to handle so I recommend
diluting it down to a much safer 5% solution.  If you want to make the
sanitizing solution with 28% sodium chlorite you would use 38 drops of it
(about 2.2 ml) and an equal portion of 10% citric acid.

Tom