Hello Bob,

The 28% sodium chlorite solution is dangerous to handle and I always recommend
diluting it down to a much safer 5% solution.

With that said, the conversion I would use is this...

4 ounces is very close to 125 ml.  To end up with a 125 ml solution with 300
PPM available chlorine dioxide you would put 5 drops of the 28% solution in a
glass, and add 5 drops of 10% citric acid.  Let this activate for 10 minutes,
then add enough water to make a total solution of 125 ml.  This will give you a
solution with about 316 PPM available chlorine dioxide and about 32 PPM of that
as free chlorine dioxide.

When using 10% citric acid to activate a sodium chlorite solution, the ratio
for the most effective solution is adding citric acid in a 1:1 ratio.  When you
add additional acid the activation is incomplete and the solution ends up with
impurities as a result.  Also, the PH is driven down and there can be a
reaction with tender infected tissue and a stronger acid.  Even when using
citric acid at a 1:1 ratio the resulting chlorous acid solution has a low PH
and you have to watch for signs of irritation.

The goal is to have a complete reaction between the two chemicals during the
activation process.  This gives you the purest chlorous acid and the highest
degree of oxidation potential from the solution.

The mixture you mentioned would end up with about 126 PPM available chlorine
dioxide with about 15 PPM of that as free chlorine dioxide.  It would also have
excess citric acid in it.  If the infection is slight, it may be powerful
enough to knock out the infection, but there is a reasonable chance for failure
with that strength.  With difficult dog ears I have started by doubling the
strength I mention above, then after a few treatments, dropped back to the 300
PPM available chlorine dioxide strength.  With humans I have found the 300 PPM
available solution to be very effective.

Tom