I expect that like most people, I want to eat healthy. When I was
younger, I took various cooking classes and enjoyed planning and
executing new and interesting gourmet type meals. As I got older I found
that time would not allow for those type of meals and I used juicing as
a way of getting vegetables in my diet combined with bulk type main
courses that I could freeze and reheat when needed. Now I am at the
stage where crock pot meals and casseroles are more my style. I find
that when I try juicing, a lot of fruits and vegetables just rot before
I get to juicing them.
So now I depend a lot on powdered plants that I buy or make myself. I
just blend them in a protein drink and feel that it makes for a pretty
good diet. Better at least than fast food. I also use tincturing as a
way to capture and preserve whole food nutrients and medicinal plant
extracts.  As some know, I do make some silver citrate. Since it can be
concentrated, I experiment with it as a preservative for some extracts,
Mostly water based extracts. I also plan to look at using magnetic
pulses as a preservative. Perhaps in conjunction with other
preservatives.
Some items such as giant brown kelp that I get locally, I extract the
juice and powder it using a homemade low temp vacuum machine to try and
preserve the enzymes. I don't do it often as my wife doesn't like the
odor.
Because of some posts by Renee, I may try my hand at essential oil
extraction but I am not sure that will be cost effective but maybe in
certain cases.
But I still wish that I could get more raw fresh vegetables and fruits
in my diet. Sous Vide cooking looks to be one way to cook and preserve
meats and vegetables while retaining a large amount of their vitamins.
Sous Vide is a cooking method that cooks food at low temperatures in
vacuum sealed bags submerged in water. Temperatures are carefully
controlled at temps below boiling. Cooking can take several days at the
lower temperatures. Vitamins, even vitamin C, are mostly retained, even
during storage in the sealed cooking bags. This may be the ultimate
crock pot.
The main drawback is that Sous Vide cookers are expensive. You can do it
manually but it takes a great deal of your time.
But I came across plans for a DIY Sous Vide cooker that you may even be
able to simplify some more than it is. The plans use a microcontrolled
heater but I think that one could devise a method using a simple digital
thermometer that has a settable audio temp warning capability.  The
audio warning could be used to halt the heater for a predetermined
amount of time when the desired regulated temperature is achieved and
maintain satisfactory temperature control. A digital thermometer of that
type costs around $20.
Sous Vide cooking does not reliably kill all pathogens and so food must
still be refrigerated or frozen but the food will keep for an extended
period of time without a significant loss of vitamins. Again, something
such as silver citrate or magnetic pulsing might help to extend the
period of preservation.

For those who may be interested here are the plans for the DIY cooker:

http://lifehacker.com/5545690/build-your-own-electronically+controlled-s
ous+vide-cooker

Here is some misc information on Sous Vide cooking:

A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking
http://amath.colorado.edu/~baldwind/sous-vide.html

Main Benefits of Sous Vide Cooking
http://www.cookingsousvide.com/info/main-benefits-of-sous-vide-cooking

Shades of Green
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-01/shades-green

What Sous Vide Can Achieve, at a Glance
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/cookbook/2009/under-pressure/sous-vide
.html

A study on the nutrient retention of Sous Vide cooking:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123342834/abstract?CRETRY=1&S
RETRY=0

 - Steve N

Archives: