How did this get started? Maybe because I said that liposomes can transiently decrease macrophage activity and then someone said vit D is a rat poison as a rebuttal, trying I think to say that even well known healthy things can be toxic depending on the dose..

Its not only the quantity but how well your body balances things with other hormones and vitamins. Excess calcium circulating in the system can be toxic. Vit D can cause this.

Probably everybody knows Dr Mercola is big on Vit D

Its off topic but here is a little Mercola extract;

sun exposure or the use of a safe tanning bed are the best options to optimize your vitamin D levels. You cannot overdose when getting your vitamin D from sun exposure, as your body has the ability to self-regulate and only make what it needs. If these options are not available, a supplement can be used, but keep the following in mind:

 * According to the most recent findings by Carole Baggerly, founder of
   GrassrootsHealth <http://www.grassrootshealth.net/>, her research of
   nearly 10,000 people shows the ideal adult dose appears to be *8,000
   IU's a day* to get most into the healthy range.
 * When you do supplement with vitamin D, you'll only want to
   supplement with natural vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).
 * As an aside, there is evidence that the safety of vitamin D is
   dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very
   rare with the D3 form) is actually aggravated by vitamin K2
   deficiency. So if you take oral vitamin D, ideally you should take
   vitamin K2 as well

<http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/27/the-stealth-vitamin-that-can-improve-your-insulin-sensitivity.aspx>
   or use organic fermented foods that are high in vitamin K2, as you
   need about 150 mcg per day.
 * The "normal" 25-hydroxyvitamin D lab range is between 20-56 ng/ml.
   But, this conventional range *is really a sign of deficiency*, and
   is too broad to be ideal. In fact, your vitamin D level should /not/
   be below 32 ng/ml, and any levels below 20 ng/ml are considered
   serious deficiency states, increasing your risk of cancer and
   autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid
   arthritis, just to name a few.

   Remember that if you were in the sun nearly every day with large
   amounts of your skin exposed and not taking any oral vitamin D, your
   level would be around 100 ng/ml.