I came across something today that might interest you about licorice root.
If you use it you should use the deglycerized variety.  I found some pretty
affordable stuff at Swansonvitamins.com .  You could find it other places
too.

"Licorice root has been enjoyed over the centuries as a candy, but it is
also an herb with medicinal properties.

"Licorice root increases the half-life of cortisol—the adrenal stress
hormone—inhibiting the breakdown of adrenal hormones by the liver. As a
result, licorice is useful in reversing low cortisol conditions and helping
the adrenal glands rest and restore function.

"But the bulk of the research with licorice lies in its digestive benefits.
When talking specifically about deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), has been
shown to cleanse the colon, ease constipation, and treat GI disorders such
as colitis and diverticulosis. DGL has even been found to help speed ulcer
healing, ease abdominal spasms and pain, and reduce intestinal irritation.

"Aim for 300-600 mg of licorice root daily, with meals"

DGL Licorice Root Extract
Item: SWH154
Swanson *$6.89*
Size:  385 mg 180 Chwbls

(should be good for 2 months supply according to the above)