My dear mother-in-law introduced me to the 'joys' of cooking with good old cast
iron cookware back when I was a dumb, young bride.  How dumb was I (and a
citygirl to boot)?  She sent some fresh picked corn on the cob to me via hubby
and Iboiled it for 40 mins.  Had no clue how long to cook it since I had never,
ever fixedfresh corn before.     Anyhow, she showed me how to season a cast
iron skillet.  Used to... you would slather up the skillet up real good with
Crisco (this was back before trans-fats were frowned upon) and put it in a 200
- 250 degree oven for  4 - 6  hours.  You wouldwipe out any excess, unabsorbed
Crisco and you would be good to go. You never wanted that skillet to 'dry out'
during that baking time and would add extra Criscoif need be.   As Jerry said,
you never, ever used soap or abrasives except very sparingly and onlyas
necessary.  If soap or abrasives were used by some weird circumstance, you
wouldhave to reseason the skillet in the oven again.  Always dry it very well
before puttingthe skillet/pan up because it can rust. I have an iron skillet
that is dedicated to baking cornbread and cornbread only.  Youmelt a good blob
of lard/butter/coconut oil (the times have changed..lol)  in a hot oven inyour
iron skillet, pull it out of the oven, pour in your batter.  Let it bake for 20
- 25 mins til set, remove from oven.  Cover the pan with a plate, invert the
cake of cornbread onto the plate and slip the cornbread back into the skillet,
bottom-side up now.  Continue to bake for another 10 - 15 mins.  Slide the
cornbread out of the skillet onto the serving plate.  Brush any crumbs out of
the skillet and let cool before putting the skillet up.  I usually let it cool
completely and then store it in a large Ziploc bag.  AndI just dare anybody to
use that skillet for anything but cornbread...lol.. After 30 years, it is
perfect.Lola