Absinthe was made from wormwood, Artemisia absinthium, and was accused of
causing neurological damage.  I think it is still used in Vermouth (Wermut).
Apparently reference to it goes back to 1600 BC.
My iridologist said her only "issue" with the recipe in Hulda's book was
using that kind instead of Artemisia annua / Chinese Wormwood / Sweet Annie.
I notice most formulas are now using A. annua.
"The shoots of Southernwood, A. Abrotanum, are used by druggists because
they have stimulating, detergent and vermifungal properties."  I'm sure the
writer meant vermifugal.
Rowena