On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 01:43, Jonathan B. Britten wrote:
"I was re-reading Rob Faigin's excellent book "Natural Hormonal Enhancement"
yesterday, and noted his claim that shortly
aftertryptophan was taken off the market -- because of one toxic batch
fromJapan ....."

I am in the middle of reading an excellent book called "Seeds of Deception",
which is about genetically-engineered foods (and a book I highly recommend
reading).  There is a chapter about this tryptophan from Japan... this was a
genetically modified tryptophan, made by one company in Japan.  It turned out
that this was the fifth generation of GM-tryptophan this company had been
selling... research was done to see if there had been any prior outbreaks of
reaction to their earlier GM batches (batches 1-4), and the research did show
there had been previous unrecognized reactions to this company's earlier GM
tryptophan.... the gist of it was that there was no problem at all with
tryptophan per se, but rather the reactions that people had were due entirely
to the genetically modified forms this company had been marketing without
anyone's knowledge.  The company destroyed all its geneticially modified
tryptophan.

This book is one I consider a must-read... it is quite an eye-opener about what
is and has been done with genetically modified foods, the role of the gigantic
corporations behind it and the FDA's complicity and ineptitude....

And I apologize for this being way off topic, I would move it over there except
I don't think I'm on the CS OT list as I haven't been getting the mail (so Mike
if you're reading this could you send me a link to resubscribe to that).

Denise