Morning Christine,

You boiled down lots of wisdom in those few lines.

At 12:40 AM 8/19/2004, you wrote:
Harold,
Strange more people don't consider they too can do it.  I think it's an
innate ability within each and every one of us.  If we think we can, we can.
Eskimo stories speak of it.  Aboriginals talk about it.  Other cultures too.
What's happened in North America that we've forgotten our potential?
Christine

I think you were far too nice to the people that "can't do anything". A very large percent of Americans today are lazy of body and lazy of mind.

We know many can't read effectively. Many that can read are too lazy to practice it.

   Only a few have forgivable learning difficulties.

I have one computer customer that I have been trying to teach a few basics for years. I am surprised my patience have lasted so long.

A short time ago, he looked me straight in the eye and said, "I can't read anything and understand it".

Darn, if he had told me that a number of years ago, I would have handled him a bit different and used different methods to teach him the things he needed to know.

Understand this was a high class, highly successful salesman. What would he have accomplished if he had possessed reading skills?

As you said, so many people are afraid to reach out for goals that are out of reach.

  Seems the sick people I know are also the poor or lazy readers.

  Wayne

---