-----Original Message-----
From: Louise [mailto:lou...@raw-connections.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 9:40 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CODEX...We need to do something

IF WE DO NOT FIGHT NOW you will be with out supplements in large doses well
any vit C over 25mg in each capsule or multi vitamin.  Your herbs will be
severely restricted or cost a LOT more.

Getting the average person to pay attention to this is important.  IT is
hard to believe but it is coming, please alert others.

Louise

The U.S. is one of the 165 member countries of the Codex
Alimentarius Commission - an international food standards
program created by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
and the World Health Organization (WHO). One of the purposes
of the Codex Commission is to "harmonize" international food
trade. And here are a few key elements of that harmonizing:
* WHO classifies all dietary supplements as drugs
* The Codex Commission intends to limit over-the-counter sales of
  dietary supplements while reclassifying others as
  pharmaceuticals, available only through a pharmacist
* Under World Trade Organization (WTO) rules, Codex guidelines
  override the regulations of individual countries
* Member countries (including the U.S.) that refuse to accept and
  enforce the WTO directives are subject to severe trade sanctions
A strong tremor was felt just last month when the Codex
Commission approved draft guidelines that will begin restricting
the sale of dietary supplements as early as next summer. So in spite
of our current laws that make a wide range of vitamins, minerals
and herbal formulations readily available, the U.S. is poised to
simply put those laws aside to conform to the unacceptably
restrictive Codex guidelines.
Whose country is it anyway?
Incredible, isn't it? Our freedom to make our own healthcare
choices may simply be taken away by an international commission.
But at this point, the imposition of the Codex guidelines isn't
necessarily a done deal. And although the situation is not
promising, it's still not too late to help prevent it from
happening.
I strongly urge you to join me in taking a moment to send a brief
letter or e-mail to your Senators and Representatives. (You can
easily find Congressional street addresses and e-mail addresses at
congress.org just by entering your zip code. We've heard that snail
mail gets more attention from our public servants than e-mail.)
http://www.house.gov/writerep
Tell them that you strongly oppose the international
"harmonization" of dietary supplement laws, drafted in another
country, and designed to "protect" you from the choices you make
about your personal healthcare.
Jonathan V. Wright, M.D., has written a sobering description of
what life would be like under the Codex regulations. You can find
Dr. Wright's editorial on the web site for his Nutrition & Healing
newsletter: wrightnewsletter.com. Look for the heading titled
"Featured Article." Dr. Wright offers links to other resources with
detailed information about Codex and he also suggests further
actions we all can take.
http://www.wrightnewsletter.com December 1, 2004

Featured Article
Written by Jonathan V. Wright
You've taken supplements for years. You're out of vitamins C and E.
You go to your natural food store, but you can't find the kind you
want on the shelf. You ask a clerk to find them for you. She says
you can't get your vitamin E as mixed tocopherols (the best natural
form) anymore, and asks if you like your vitamin C in the 100 or 200
milligram size. The 1,000 milligram size, you say.
"Where have you been?" she asks. "Asleep since 2004? It's 2007 now!
The types and sizes of vitamins you just asked for have been
declared illegal by the Dispute Settlement Body of the World Trade
Organization!"
"Wait!" you reply. "This is America! Our President says we're
fighting for American freedom--and you're telling me that the World
Trade Organization can dictate what size vitamin C I can take, and
forbid me from taking mixed tocopherols?"
The sales clerk sighs, and reaches for a piece of paper. "It's a
little complicated," she says. "A few years back, the European
Commission passed the European Food Supplements Directive..."
You feel your blood pressure rising. "What does the European
Commission and its Directive have to do with me? If Europeans want
bureaucrats to tell them what to do, that's their business. I'm a
free citizen of these United States!"
"Now, now, dear, your blood pressure will go up, and you can't get
calcium citrate, magnesium aspartate, CoQ10 or L-arginine or
anything else natural to help regulate it anymore."
"What? This goes beyond the FDA's wildest dreams!"
"That's not a tenth of it, dear. While you were distracted by the
war overseas for American freedom, here at home we lost our right to
buy any amino acids at all-no arginine, no carnitine, no tryptophan,
nothing. I can't sell you any essential fatty acids either-no DHA or
EPA. And no beta-carotene, no mixed carotenoids, no MSM, no
boron...The list goes on and on."
"So what can I buy?" you ask.
"Let's see...those 100 and 200 milligram vitamin Cs. Vitamin B6
maximum 4.2 milligrams, vitamin B1, 2.4 milligrams. Oh, here's a
better one: You can get niacin at 32 milligrams."
"Enough! I'm getting sick! How did this ever happen in these United
States?"
"As I was saying, the European Directive..."
"I heard you. But what about America's Congress, America's
President?
"Oh, they signed us up for this in the 1990s, when they made us
members of the World Trade Organization. According to the
Congressional Research Service: 'As a member of the World Trade
Organization, the United States does commit to act in accordance
with the rules of the multilateral body. The United States is
legally obligated to ensure national laws do not conflict with World
Trade Organization rules.'"
"Our President and Congress send troops overseas to fight for
freedom, but let the WTO tell us what to do with our vitamins? There
must be something we can do."
"Actually, we did have a chance or two to reverse this in 2004, but
it's going to be incredibly difficult now."
"But I really need my mixed tocopherol vitamin E. And my mother with
congestive heart failure depends on CoQ10."
"I'm not unsympathetic, especially to your poor mother, dear." She
looks all around, then lowers her voice. "I can give you some
sources downtown." She whispers a few names.
"But those people deal dangerous drugs! Now they're selling
vitamins, too?"
"That's freedom in America in 2007, dear."
Think it can't happen? Think again
The FDA's wildest dream-and our worst nightmare-is about to come
true. Two years ago, I told you about the passage of the European
Union (EU) Directive on Dietary Supplements. This directive, which
is part of a larger form of legislation called Codex Alimentarius,
severely restricts access to natural health products in Europe. At
the time, it probably seemed a long way off: After all, the law
wasn't to go into effect for several years following the initial
passage.
Unfortunately, that several years is up, and the EU Directive is on
track to take full effect in August 2005-less than a year from now--
and by 2007, the scene described above will certainly be a reality
for many, many people. Obviously, this is devastating news for
Europe. But thanks to some pre-existing international agreements
made by the U.S., the EU Directive will be just as devastating for
the natural health community here. The main difference is that while
the Directive has been big news in Europe for some time, it's been
virtually ignored by U.S. media, which means that the severe
restrictions it calls for will sneak up on most people and rob us
all of our freedom to choose natural alternatives before we even
know what's happening. That's why I and many of my colleagues in the
health publishing world have done our best to keep you informed of
the Directive's developments-and their consequences for the U.S.-
over the years. And why we've decided to make a big push in our
September newsletters by covering it in-depth.
Simply put, we're down to the wire, and if we don't act immediately,
we will be facing the same fate as Europeans. There are steps you
can take to get the word out and, hopefully, to diffuse this ticking
time bomb. But first, let's take a few minutes and recount some of
the specifics included in the Directive so that you know exactly
what it is we're fighting against.
5,000 products set to disappear
The EU Directive classifies vitamins and minerals in Europe
as "medical drugs" rather than dietary supplements, which means that
they're subject to government regulation in terms of dosage and
availability. It gets worse: There are many nutrients known to be
vital to optimal health that are not on the government's RDA
nutrient list including chromium picolinate, lysine, and selenium.
Under the Directive, these types of supplements are banned from over-
the-counter sale. Put simply, it will be illegal to buy them without
a prescription.
The supplements that will be available will be restricted to multi-
vitamins containing no more than 100 percent of the established RDA
amounts, which are usually useless, trivial quantities--and they'll
be far more expensive than what we have now.
This Directive, for all intents and purposes, makes it illegal for
people to keep themselves healthy by supplementing with essential
nutrients.
Plus, the Directive only allows supplements to be made from a list
of 15 minerals and 13 vitamins. That leaves out at least 40 minerals
important in human metabolism and forbids the use of the most bio-
available forms of vitamin complexes. In essence, it means that all
nutritional supplements will be virtually the same-the specific
combinations might vary, but the types and amounts of nutrients will
be identical-no matter what product they're formulated into.
So, for instance, a middle-aged woman in Liverpool, England, who has
a dangerously elevated homocysteine level will no longer have the
option of reducing her risk of heart disease with a vitamin B dosage
of her own choosing. If she's currently taking 5 mg of folic acid
daily, under the new Directive she will be legally restricted to a
prescription of 1 mg per day. If she's taking a 100 mg dose of B6,
she'll be restricted to 10 mg. And her pantothenic acid (B5) intake
of 500 mg will drop to 200 mg. These maximum dosage levels have been
chosen to "protect" her (so we're told), when in fact the protection
she needs the most will be unavailable.
In addition to these essential B vitamins, low maximum dosage levels
have also been set for vitamin C, niacin, and vitamin E. But at
least they made it on the list of allowed nutrients.
Approximately 350 supplement ingredients are missing from the list.
If they are not added to the list by June 2005, they will be deemed
illegal throughout the European Union. Supplement manufacturers may
submit "technical dossiers" to support applications for the
inclusion of individual elements or formulations on the so-
called "positive list." But the EU has made this process so
expensive and time consuming that many manufacturers simply can't
afford the costs involved. As a result, around 5,000 safe formulas
and nutrients that have been on the market for decades will soon be
banned.
Saving us from ourselves
Of course, these regulations were all passed under the guise
of "protecting the public." According to the World Health
Organization, popular alternative medicines are often "misused" and
may "harm patients." They point out that the "incorrect use" of
alternative therapies has caused deaths in wealthy countries where
more and more patients rely on them.
You could also argue that the incorrect use of kitchen knives, water
skis, and even plastic bags have all caused deaths! Not to mention
the use of AMA-sanctioned medical procedures and FDA-approved drugs.
The key phrase here is "incorrect use."
The WHO could do everyone a service by first addressing the
incorrect use of accepted mainstream therapies that have caused far
more widespread death and adverse reactions than natural medicine
therapies ever have or ever will.
Although they are few and far between, there are mistakes and
fatalities associated with alternate therapies, supplements, and
herbal remedies. It's always important to keep in mind that many of
the compounds and herbs used in natural medicine treatments are very
powerful. They have risks and potential side effects, which is why I
always recommend that you work closely with skilled natural medicine
practitioners whenever you use these therapies. But even with their
cautions, natural remedies are far, far safer than prescription
drugs, and one reason might be the users themselves. An article
published in the journal Psychologist noted that people who seek out
natural and alternative treatments are generally more health
conscious than non-users, and believe that by making sound lifestyle
choices they can influence their own health. But not if the EU has
anything to say about it.
Finally, tell your friends and let them know what's going on. We
obviously can't depend on the mainstream media to adequately
mouth.
If we don't act now, these rumbling tremors may develop into
something far worse.