Ole Bob,
I don't know if you remember you told me to do the same thing quite a while back. I tried it and it makes my DW come out with a much higher uS reading. My husband said "that can't happen" but it sure did happen. I did the experiment more than once. If it would be of any interest I can do it a couple times again.
Any idea what could be going on?

Further--- at times water from a single pass through the distiller has come out reading .4 uS. Making CS with that DW made yellow CS. I ran another gallon of water through the distiller twice, it came out from the second distilling with a uS reading of .4 uS but it made perfectly clear CS. At times the uS has been higher after one run, and lower after the second distilling of the same water, but not always.

Since I can't fix whatever it is, just do whatever it takes to get the DW pure enough for making clear CS. But curiosity as to what could be happening still bugs me. So far the only thing noted is that the need to double distill seems to happen when the river that the town water supply comes from is low. When the river is very high, one distilling works perfectly. There must be some contaminant in the river water that is more concentrated when the river is low. But I have no idea what it is. The town water company sends out reports of their tests of the tap water, and supposedly it exceeds all water standards, is very pure, etc. etc. I wonder if I should be believing that.
sol

Robert Berger wrote:

If possible blow-off the first 5 minutes of boiling and then route the steam throught the condencing coils. that way is there are any organic compounds tha thave a boiling point near that of water they will boil off first and not go through your still.