CS Maker for Emergencies
>>> Dan Nave <na...@comcast.net> 11/15/2005 5:47:59 PM >>>

I did some experiments using two different kinds of tap water, one from
St. Paul city water which I drink and which has a average amount of
hardness for city water and Plymouth city water which is so hard I won't

even use it to make tea because it turns black and has foamy scum
floating on top...

I put two clean copper wires in a styrofoam cup and attached them to a
power supply with an ammeter in series.  Then I filled the cup with the
water.  The distance between the electrodes was about 3" at the side of
the cup but (est.) 1.5" near the bottom.  Also tried it with the wires
about .75" apart, similar to a 9V battery terminal spacing.

St. Paul water current was 5ma at 3" at 9V.
St. Paul water current was 8ma at .75" at 9V.
St. Paul water current was 20ma at 3" at 30V.

Plymouth water current was 10.6ma at 3" at 9V.
Plymouth water current was 15ma at .75" at 9V.
Plymouth water current was 43ma at 3" at 30V.

Using the rule of thumb we would have .28ppm at 1ma for 1 minute in 1
cup of water.

Therefore, for the above samples, assuming a 1 minute dwell time of the
electrodes in the water, we would get the following equivalent
concentrations of CS or silver compounds...

St. Paul water current was 5ma at 3" at 9V.     (1.4ppm)
St. Paul water current was 8ma at .75" at 9V.     (2.24ppm)
St. Paul water current was 20ma at 3" at 30V.     (5.6ppm)

Plymouth water current was 10.6ma at 3" at 9V.     (3.0ppm)
Plymouth water current was 15ma at .75" at 9V.     (4.2ppm)
Plymouth water current was 43ma at 3" at 30V.     (12.0ppm)

These values are not excessive, although they are probably silver
compounds rather than the EIS that we make with distilled water.

However, I don't see any reason to use more than 9V for this type of
unregulated system used with non-distilled water.  (Higher voltages only

make sense when using water with lower conduction characteristics, and
also when using some type of current limiting.)

Dan