Carey Tyler Schug wrote:
> I had always been told it was first written in some proprietary DEC
> list processing language, and only later converted to FORTRAN.  Is
> this the original conversion?

They are the oldest files that have been found, as far as I know.
According to Woods, they are the Crowther version.

> Did anybody suggest the following fix to put a blank in the carriage
> control position??
>
> 998     FORMAT(1H ,20A5)

Thanks, that did the trick!

I see that the data file from which the strings are read do prefix all
strings with a space character.  So it looks like the intent is that
FORMAT(20A5) should do the right thing.

Maybe the root cause is in the code reading the data file.  But your
suggestion is a good workaround.