> On Feb 2, 2018, at 2:26 PM, Lars Brinkhoff <l...@nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> Ken Cornetet wrote:
>> Also, given the FORMAT(/), I’ll also hazard a guess that TYPE did not
>> automatically add a new line on whatever was printed. But that is just a
>> guess.
>
> I think your guess is correct.

I'm not so sure.  It may be a case of ensuring the carriage is at the left
margin -- remember that Fortran carriage control would insert a line feed at
the start of the record (if the record carriage control character is a space)
but not a carriage return; that happens at end of record.  So if some previous
operation left the carriage at some other spot on the page, you'd end up with
weird looking output.  The / supplies <lf><cr> to ensure all is clean.

        paul