candice schuster wrote:
Hi Richard,
I'm beginning to feel sorry for you, do you not tire of endless challenges ? Back to the AI debate then....still parallel to what you think.... In all of my previous posts, most of them anyhow I have mentioned consciousness, today I found myself reading some of John Searle's theories, he poses exactly the same type of question...The reason computers can't do semantics is because semantics is about meaning; meaning derives from original intentionality, and original intentionality derives from feelings - qualia - and computers don't have any qualia. How does consciousness get added to the AI picture Richard ?

How can I summarize my feelings about Seale? His stuff generated a humungous literature, and in my opinion almost all of it was a waste of time.

Point number 1: Searle himself is confused. When asked for clarification about what he actually claims, he dodges, shifts position, becomes vague, gets aggressive, etc etc. Pleaaaase don't ask me to say exactly why I make this claim: I'm summarizing hundreds of debates, several books and piles of articles. Please believe me, when you get down into the details of his argument, it is not at all clear what he really means, and when you ask him, he does not answer.

Point number 2: Searle's argument is completely and utterly broken. It is broken in many ways, but the one that really kills it most thoroughly is as follows. He uses a thought experiment (his Chinese Room) that contains an extremely weird situation (An intelligent system being implemented ON TOP OF a system that is already intelligent at a lower level), and then he SAYS that artificial intelligence researchers would make a certain claim about this weird system (He says: "AI researchers would say that this system understands Chinese"), but in fact, AI researchers would never make that claim.

He basically puts words into the mouths of AI researchers that they would never utter, then he destroys the plausibility of this claim that they would never make, THEN he generalizes his conclusion to say that other claims made by AI researchers are "obviously" wrong.

It is a bogus argument. In simple terms, AI researchers would say that the weird system he proposes has TWO intelligences inside it, not one, and that because of this you cannot talk about whether the "whole" system understands this or that or the other: it is entirely possible, in this weird system that is not likely to ever exist in the real world, for one of the two intelligences to "understand" Chinese while the other does not. So when Searle says "The system clearly does not understand Chinese" the AI researchers say "Which system are you referring to, John, because there are two of them?!". John, of course, starts dodging at this point, trying to push words into the mouths of the AI folks without ever answering the question. If Searle wants to talk about the bottom-level intelligence, the AI folks agree with him completely: "Nope, that one does not understand Chinese, and we never claimed it did."

It is unbelievable that so much time could have been wasted by so many people on so much nonsense.

Searle himself, meanwhile, is arrogant and triumphalist when you actually meet him (I did, at a conference last year). He simply struts around, mocking the AI folks and saying "I proved them wrong. They argued back. I won!".

The truth is that qualia are something that computers can very much have, and semantics, and all the rest. It will be a while before the reasons why this is so penetrate all the way down to the street, but that will eventually become clear.

At the same time I find myself moving back to Charles Darwin again and his study of the human smile...how come tribes in the Amazon who have had no outside contact to the world (back then anyhow) still smile when they are happy when they have never encountered the human world, which part of our genetic make up equals a smile...then back again to AI...as Searle said...it's got something to do with biological qualities of the brain. We are organic, we cannot be replicated no matter how much each one of us thinks of the human brain as a machine.

Hmmmmm.....

I don't understand why a smile reaction proves anything about the issue. I guess I am confused about what you are trying to claim here.

I won't say anything more about your mention of Searle, here, but there is something important lurking in your mention of "... no matter how much each one of us thinks of the human brain as a machine."

Would it surprise you to know that some of us believe that it is possible to build a complete, thinking, feeling, qualia-experiencing, semantically-complete machine that is every bit as intelligent as us, BUT that we would never say that this means the mind is "just" a machine?

This is a subtle point, but I assure you that even though I think minds can be made, it is not the case (and NEVER will be the case) that all the things we experience as minds can be explained by objective science. I'm not talking about telepathy (as Turing did: I am open minded on that point), but simply about subjective consciousness.

We can predict that a machine of the right sort would be conscious, but that does not mean that consciousness can be "explained" in any conventional sense. Nothing will ever explain away what consciousness is.

Instead of thinking of intelligent machines as some kind of depressing bring-down for the human species ("Horror! They made an AI, so we're just machines after all!!") you should think of it the other way round: if we build machines that can think, more consciousnesses come into the world: each one has an inexplicable subjective consciousness that can never be fully explained, just as mysterious as any other consciousness in the universe.

I say all this, not because I am guessing it to be true, or jumping to conclusions, or wanting it to be true, but because it is a direct result of what I think is the best theory of consciousness around at the moment, which I think will eventually come to be the mainstream theory.

Richard Loosemore