"Richard Loosemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

it is exactly the lack of a clear definition
of what "consciousness" is supposed to be

And if we did have such a definition of consciousness I don't see how it
would help in the slightest in making an AI. The definition would be made
of words, and every one of those words would have their own definition
also made of words, and every one of those words would have their own
definition also made of words, and [...]

You get the idea, round and round we go. The thing that gets language
out of this endless loop is examples; we can point to a word and
something in the real world and say "this word means that".

And I have no difficulty explaining what I mean when my mouth makes the sound "consciousness"; producing consciousness is, in my opinion
and almost certainly yours, the most importing thing I am doing at this
instant. I have no definition but I know exactly what those words mean
and I'll bet you do too. What more is needed for clear communication?

John K Clark