"Consciousness", like many natural language terms,
is extremely polysemous

A formal definition of "reflective consciousness"
was given by me in a blog post a few days ago

http://goertzel.org/blog/blog.htm

-- Ben G

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM, John K Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Richard Loosemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>  > it is exactly the lack of a clear definition
>  > of what "consciousness" is supposed to be
>
>  And if we did have such a definition of consciousness I don't see how it
>  would help in the slightest in making an AI. The definition would be made
>  of words, and every one of those words would have their own definition
>  also made of words, and every one of those words would have their own
>  definition also made of words, and [...]
>
>  You get the idea, round and round we go. The thing that gets language
>  out of this endless loop is examples; we can point to a word and
>  something in the real world and say "this word means that".
>
>  And I have no difficulty explaining what I mean when my mouth makes
>  the sound "consciousness"; producing consciousness is, in my opinion
>  and almost certainly yours, the most importing thing I am doing at this
>  instant. I have no definition but I know exactly what those words mean
>  and I'll bet you do too. What more is needed for clear communication?
>
>   John K Clark

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they
will surely become worms."
-- Henry Miller