On the news yesterday they announced that IBM were going to donate the
hundreds of computers used in the Olympics to Computerbank when it was all
over.
I wonder if this is true, and whether IBM is planning to actually assist cb
with logistics?

The other thing that's happening on the recycling side is a lot of larger
computer manufacturers and retailers are offering trade-ins. Harvey Norman
probably still does. Goodness knows what happens to the old machines!

I know that Sun offers trade-ins and re-sell second hand / reconditioned
stuff (see their web pages via http://www.sun.com/ under spare parts and
refurbished goods). There is a steady market for this gear. I seem to have
misplaced SRK's URL.

And also there is MRI in Victoria who are converting IBM mainframes etc into
I-Beams for the construction industry :) They are planning something for
Sydney where you pay to have something recycled.

On the matter of 286's etc - they are not useful for X apps but they usually
form the heart of switchgear and routers. Possibly there is a kernel out
there that will work on such equipment; I made an 8 channel stat mux using a
Z-80 years ago, and in a previous "life" we made 2 Mb/s modems which used
186s or 8049s. It's more a matter of getting the time to write the code than
worrying as to whether the hardware will run.

'Nuff raving from me.

- Jill.

Jill Rowling
Snr Design Engineer & Unix System Administrator
Electronic Engineering Department, Aristocrat Technologies Australia
3rd Floor, 77 Dunning Ave Rosebery NSW 2018
Phone:  (02) 9697-4484          Fax:    (02) 9663-1412
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]