On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, John Ferlito wrote:

> > I don't find them cheap http://www.corporate.pacific.net.au/adsl.html . I am
> > with telstra and at the same cost of a 256/64 at $89 with those guys I have
> > a 512/128 with unlimited downloads where the pacific charge per meg....
>
>       If you're a home user no they aren't cheap, but it is
> *corporate*.pacific. If you compare Telstras business plans to PI's
> plans then yes PI is significantly cheaper.

Bzzzzt. But thanks for playing anyway.

http://www.bigpond.com/broadband/adsl/pricing.asp

Business Standard Plan.

Setup                                           :       $399.00 for 3
                                                        month contract.
Monthly cost without preselection               :       $100.50
Monthly cost with preselection                  :       $ 84.00
Access Rate                                     :       512/128
Data Limit                                      :       500 Mb/month
Excess Data Costs                               :       18.9 c/m up to 5 G
                                                        17.5 c/m after
Freedom Delux Residential plan.

Setup                                           :       $399 for 3
                                                        month contract
Monthly cost without preselection               :       $105.50
Monthly cost with preselection                  :       $ 89.00
Access Rate                                     :       512/128
Data Limit                                      :       Nil*

Preselection simply means that the voice line which is included in the
ADSL package uses Telstra for all local and long distance calls
automatically.

The unlimited access rate is subject to the AUP, of course.

http://www.corporate.pacific.net.au/adsl.html

Advance DSL 256 Plan

Setup                                           :       $499.00
Monthly Cost                                    :       $ 89.00
Access Rate                                     :        256/64
Data Limit                                      :       400 Mb/month
Excess Data Costs                               :       15.9 c/m

>       So if you are in a situation where you are supposed to be paying
> by the meg than pi is cheaper.

To even out the data limits, Pacific would cost $104.90 a month for the
first 500 meg of data, Telstra $84.00 per month. A difference of $20.90.

So, at the first 500 meg, you're $20.90 worse off with Pacific. That's an
additional 111 meg you could download from Telstra for the same amount of
money.

To continue this, the extra 111 meg from Pacific to catch up to Telstra
would cost you $17.58. That $17.58 to bring you up to equal amounts of
money with Telstra would get you another 93 meg. Which would cost $14.79
from Pacific to get you to the same place. Which would buy another 78 meg
from Telstra. Pacific = $12.44, Telstra = 66 meg. Pacific = $10.46,
Telstra = 55 meg - and so on and so on.

Even stopping at this point, we're up to a total of 160.17 for 903 meg in
a month - and we haven't gotten to the point that Pacific is cheaper yet.

Eventually yes, Pacific will work out cheaper - and the gradient will grow
steeper the more data you download. However, that's for _Corporate_ plans
- nobody mentioned business - most of the people on this list want it for
home use - where Telstra is _way_ out in front, as much as I hate to say
it.

DaZZa