On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 02:36, Del wrote:
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > during last weekend, I received several hundred of the the latest ms
> > 'virus' emails, all about 100k, with about 7 different subjects. on Monday,
> > the flow slowed down, just maybe a hundred or so all day, and, I assumed
> > the worst was over, so to speak.
> >
> > However, between Tuesday and Wed this week, I received in excess of 1,000
> > emails in say 12 hours, and, when I looked at it in the afternoon, I was
> > getting one new mssg every minute.
>
> I had the same problem.  It was all coming from one machine at
> cornell.edu so I put in a .procmail rule to redirect all mail
> with a header "Received: (from that machine)" line in it back
> to the complaints address I found on their web site (which
> otherwise wasn't responding when I sent them mail asking them
> to fix it).
>
> After that the flood lasted another 2-3 hours then stopped,
> all by magick.

Newbie question here.  Is this definitive?

I've read that this virus spoofs the return address, which I understand
to mean the text, but what about the IP chain?

I've read in separate articles about "untraceable" spam.  Is this
happening here?

If there's a definitive way to be sure of the origin of an email, I'd
like to know that's so, and how to determine it.

Thanks,
Bret

--
bwaldow at alum dot mit dot edu